Tuesday, May 30, 2006

What is this? The Worlds Game? You Betcha.

The worlds game. It envelops the entire globe once every four years. This year, they find themselves in Germany, the entire world. Amazing. I know I'm not being funny, but I'm not trying to...yet. Anyways, the World Cup starts on the 9th of June. Whoopie. I'll have to go to the dollar store and buy a stack of VHS tapes (gotta start me a soccer video collection). The group of death. Group E. That is where the US finds itself, playing the Czech, Italians, and the African team of Ghana. Let the fun begin.

Back in 2002, when the world was playing in Korea and Japan, I was up early to watch all the US games. That meant waking up at 3 in the morning, and I overslept a whole 4 mins, only to miss Eddie Lewis scoring right off the bat. As the day woke, the US won, 3-2. Talk about a way to kick off the tourny. Really makes me miss the game, wish I spent more time doing what it was that I did so well, could have been me (sure, I keep telling myself that). Two days later, its a 1-1 tie to Korea (darn you Jeff Agoose, you and your weak side defense). Then to end the first round, a great screwjob by an official who s more pro-Asian, than pro-American, the US gets jobbed, yet thanks to Korea, they back into the second round, only to find their CONCACAF nemesis, Tri-Colores (man, the Mexican team is so overhyped, they can never win after the round robin, who actually thought they stood a chance?), and a 2-0 victory. Man, that leaves a sweet taste in your mouth. The Cinderella dream comes to a close thanks to Michael Ballacks header with eyes, and a new-age hand of fate, from Martin Klose, keeping Craig Berhaulters shot from crossing the line (darn you, you scottish ref, a handball is a handball, bust the card out you pansy). So we have to wait til this month. Retribution. Now ranked 5th in the world (Mexico is now 4th, and the Czech are 2nd in the world), playing in the group of death. Lets go, time to rumble, and show the world Americas sports tenacity. If only I could be in Germany to cheer them on, what a blast that would be.

This frigging game is ruining my life.

No comments: